Thinking about buying a home at Stewart Ridge? Here is a complete overview of the home buying, construction, and closing process, so you have a better idea of what to expect when you buy a new custom home from DJK Builders at Stewart Ridge.
Home Buying Process
- Select a floor plan to customize. Choose your floor plan from one of the many floor plans available at Stewart Ridge. We have options available for many family sizes and living styles, so take the time to consider what type of floor plan suits your needs and budget. Keep in mind that all of the floor plans are completely customizable – we can change both the layout and the elevations in any floor plan to make sure that they suit your style. If you still can’t find what you’re looking for, we can also design your dream home from scratch.
- Build your home on paper. After you choose your floor plan, you will sit down with Dan or Kevin, owners of DJK Custom Homes. You will go over all of the features of the floor plan, including any features that you want to add or customize. At the end of this meeting, you should have a better idea of what the final price of your home will be.
- Complete a Purchase Agreement. Once the floor plan is finalized, a construction purchase agreement is drawn up. Once you review and sign the agreement, Dan or Kevin will go over the “next steps” of the process with you.
- Finalize Your Design. Once the purchase agreement has been signed, you will review your floor plan with Dan or Kevin and make any final changes before the floor plan is submitted to the architects for the final blueprints to be made.
- Permit acquisition. Once you have approved the design, the process for acquiring the necessary permits begins. The finalized drawings will be sent to structural engineers who will review them for structural elements and code compliance. Everything will be sent to the city for approval. The permit approval process usually takes 3-6 weeks.
- Exterior Selections Meeting. While the permit approval process is going on, you will have a meeting at the model home design center to select and approve your choices for the exterior of your home, including the entry door, windows, patio door, siding, roofing, and more. You will also receive a list of vendors that you can meet with for some of your interior selections.
- Breaking Ground On-Site Meeting. Meet at the building site to review the plans and your vision for your new home. There will be a ceremonial breaking ground, and we will take a family photo.
- Excavation and Foundation. The basement will be excavated, underground plumbing run, foundation walls poured, and the foundation braced and backfilled.
- Interior Selections Meeting. Around the time that framing starts, you will have a meeting at our model home selections center so that you can make your interior selections. At this meeting you will review and approve all interior selections.
- Framing & Roofing. Steel support beams and columns are installed in your basement. All walls are framed and sheathed, roof shingles are laid, house wrap and foam are installed, and windows and exterior doors are installed.
- Mechanical / Structural meeting. After the house is framed, you will meet our field project manager on-site to walk through the house. You will review the HVAC system and electrical locations, and any framing concerns, changes, or added details will also be reviewed.
- Mechanical Roughs. The plumbing, low voltage wiring, and HVAC ducts will be installed. This usually takes about 2 weeks.
- Inspections and Quality Control. City inspectors will come and inspect the house. DJK Homes will also perform a quality control inspection to make sure that everything has been built to our high standards.
- Insulation and Air Sealing. Your home will be closed off, and every crack will be sealed as well as possible. Once all of the cracks are sealed, cellulose insulation is blown into the walls and into the ceilings and packed tight.
- Brick, Stone, Siding, and Gutters. All of the exterior trimmings will be installed.
- Drywall, Trim, Flooring, and Primer. After the insulation comes the drywall, the trim (such as baseboards and crown molding), and the flooring. After that your home will be primed for painting.
- Cabinet Installation.
- Countertop Installation.
- Carpet & Mechanical Trim. Carpet will be installed and hardwood floors will be finished. Plumbing fixtures, lighting fixtures, furnace and air conditioner, and electrical faceplates will also be installed.
- Driveways & Sidewalks. This is saved until near the end so that construction vehicles don’t damage your new driveway & sidewalks.
- Landscaping and Sod.
The Closing Process
- Set Closing Date. 30 days before your home is scheduled to be completed, your closing date will be set.
- Final Inspection and Quality Control. The city will come and do a final inspection of your completed home and issue final approval for occupancy. DJK Homes will also do a final walkthrough to ensure the home meets our quality standards.
- Welcome Home Walkthrough. About a week before closing, you will meet with the project manager to go over all of the specifications of your home and indicate anything that still needs to be finished such as paint touch-ups, etc.
- Closing Day. The long-anticipated day has finally arrived! After you sign the necessary paperwork and transfer all the funds, one of our team members will hand you the keys to your new home. You and your family can move in and begin to enjoy your brand new custom home.
Congratulations! Your new home at Stewart Ridge will last you for many years to come.