Building energy efficient and environmentally friendly homes is the specialty of DJK Homes, the builders at Stewart Ridge. They are professionally trained in green building techniques, and are constantly striving to stay updated on the latest developments in techniques and materials. Energy efficient houses not only are good for the environment, but they save you money as well! Your new home is an investment, and energy efficient building helps your home retain value and save you money at the same time.
Benefits of an Energy Efficient New Home
- Cost savings to owners: an Energy Star Certified home is up to 30% more efficient than a comparable non-certified home, and typically saves up to 20% on utility bills.
- Reduce Environmental Impact: Because an energy efficient home uses less energy, and therefore less fossil fuels and natural resources, your home will have less of an impact on the environment. You can take satisfaction in the fact that your family has a smaller carbon footprint, and is contributing to cleaner air and water for future generations, just by living in your home.
Energy Efficient Home Options
From roof to foundation, your Energy Star Certified home is full of materials and building techniques designed to make your home efficient.
- Advanced Framing Techniques: DJK Homes uses special framing techniques that reduce the amount of lumber used to frame your home. Studs are placed 19 inches apart in the walls instead of the typical 16 inches, which also allows more room for insulation in the walls, and reduces the amount of heat lost through heat transfer as well.
- Insulation: A barrier between indoor and outdoor temperatures is created through Styrofoam insulation board on the exterior walls. Styrofoam insulation board on the basement walls prevents energy loss through the foundation. Additional foam insulation is blown into the attic and all the interior walls. Foam insulation provides a high insulation value, and also has soundproofing capabilities as well.
- Zone programmable thermostat: having a programmable thermostat saves you up to 10% a year on your heating and cooling costs. A “zoned” heating / air conditioning system can do even more by making sure that different parts of the house stay similar temperatures, and certain areas of the house aren’t overheated or cooled.
- Windows: Windows are where a major loss of energy can occur. Low-e, argon-filled windows reduce the amount of energy lost, while still letting in sunlight and letting you enjoy your beautiful view.
The Energy Star Home certification is just the start. If you are interested in higher or more stringent efficiency and environmentally friendly building standards, DJK Homes have experience in building homes to the most stringent standards of the highest levels of LEED or NAHBGreen certifications. Talk to your home builder today about your options.