If you’ve just moved into your new home at Stewart Ridge and are new to the area, you may be wondering what things there are to do in the Plainfiled, IL. Plainfield has many great things to offer. Here are just a few ideas for things to do with your kids this summer.
Every Day / Cheap Things to Do:
- Plainfield Public Library. The Plainfield Public library is just a 10 minute drive south of Stewart Ridge. In addition to books to check out, the Plainfield library has a variety of programs and activities for children of all ages, including story time, Nintendo Club, movies, and more. Check out their website for the complete calendar.
- Splash Pad. The Village Green Park at 24121 West Chicago Street has a splash pad that’s open from 10a to 7pm between Memorial Day and Labor Day. It has several water spouts and fun equipment for children to play on and get wet.
- Skate Park. For older kids, there are a couple of skate parks in Plainfield. The closest one to Stewart Ridge is located at Northwest Community Park at 25501 W. 127th St, less than a mile and a half away.
- Ottawa Street Pool. The Pool has afternoon swim and evening swim hours. Afternoon swim is Monday-Friday from 1:00-4:30pm, and admission is $4 per person. Evening Swim is Monday-Friday from 7:00-8:30, and admission is $3 per person. Weekend swim is Saturday & Sunday from 1:00-8:00pm.
Classes & Day Camps:
For ongoing fun, register your kids for classes or day camps! The Plainfield Park District has a wide variety of classes and programs available for children of all ages. Prices are cheaper for Plainfield residents.
- Park District Classes. The Plainfield Park District has a wide variety of classes and programs available throughout the summer, including martial arts, sports, photography, music, theater, and more. More information can be found on the park district’s website.
- Park District Day Camps. Available as one-week sessions, you can sign up for as many or as few sessions as you want. Activities include swimming, crafts, field trips, and more. Sessions run from June 2 to August 8. Find more info here.
- Swimming Lessons. The Ottawa Street Pool offers swimming lessons throughout the summer for children of all ages. Class prices range from $20 – $45 depending on age and type of class. See the complete schedule at the Plainfield Park District’s website.
- Summer Adventure Camps at the Sci Tech Hands on Museum – week long camps for ages 3-13 focus on different science topics like Robotech, Flight and Ballistics, Curious about Chemistry, and more. Learn more at scitechmuseum.org.
Special Outings / Museums:
If you’re looking for somewhere for a party, a fun family outing, or as a special treat, check out some of these kid-friendly venues.
- The Scitech Hands on Museum is about 20 minutes north of Stewart Ridge, and features lots of interactive exhibits to help kids learn about basic principles of science. Children under 3 are free, and general admission is $8 per person.
- The Dupage Children’s Museum has more general exhibits, including a creativity studio, a construction exhibit, and an “interact with art” gallery. The Dupage Children’s Museum is about 30 minutes away from Stewart Ridge and costs $11 per person.
- Bowling. Plainfield Lanes is a bowling alley about 14 minutes away from Stewart Ridge. Specials include the Thursday penny-a-pin special, where you pay based on your score – a score of 86 would only cost $0.86. Find more information on their website, http://www.plainfieldlanes.com.
- Laser Tag. The closest laser tag arena is Cyberspace Lazer Tag, about 8 minutes away from Stewart Ridge in Naperville. Pricing and daily specials can be found here. On Wednesdays, parents play free with their paid child.
While not a comprehensive list of all the things that you can do in Plainfield, IL this summer, hopefully this gives you some good ideas for fun summer activities. There are also lots of events put on by the city, park district, and library, so be sure to check those out as well! Welcome to Stewart Ridge and to Plainfield. Enjoy your summer!